Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My New Life

Okay, so I mentioned that we got a new puppy, right?
Yep, we sure did.
And boy, has my life changed!

We've had dogs before, but we've never started out with a puppy.
And we've never had an INSIDE dog.
Not that I have anything against dogs in the house, 
I just didn't want a dog in MY house.
I've always felt like their hair 
and dirty paws 
and messes
belong outside.

Welcome to my new life!

A 7 lb., black and white, four-legged creature, 
with an extremely cute face
has become
THE CENTER OF MY UNIVERSE!
(I'm starting to think I've become the center of his as well!)

He's doing pretty well on the whole housebreaking thing.
Or maybe we should call it the whole "ME breaking thing".
I don't remember a time I've ever jumped out of bed so quickly.
 At 5:00 a.m. Every. Morning.

Forget the alarm clock -- it hasn't been used since he joined the family.
One bark from Teddy and I am sprinting down the stairs,
grabbing a leash,
and heading for the back door
with nary a thought about what I'm wearing or 
what my hair looks like. 
(and it's usually pretty bad!)
I have one goal in mind...
get that puppy outside to do his business!

But that's not the only time I find myself running out the back door --
All it takes is a whimper, a cry, a blink, a twitch,
and I'm ready to run for the hills... with puppy in tow...
Anytime -- day or night.

I've stood in the rain, been EATEN by BUGS and tried to remain calm
as I listened to footsteps of an unknown creature
moving through the woods late at night.
(I KNOW it wasn't a squirrel!)
And did I mention the BUGS?

I think he's got it all figured out and is secretly laughing inside, 
(dogs can laugh, right?)
at me falling all over myself to respond to his every whim.
Smart dog.

I sure hope he (we) get this all figured out soon.
I'm exhausted!

Did I mention that he's cute - I mean really, REALLY cute?

It's a good thing!

3 comments:

  1. The 5:00 thing? That is WHY my puppies were litter boxed trained! Heh, heh...

    By the by, check out my blog for a fun get-together! Hope you can come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He IS really cute. Sorry about the bugs... I'm sure you've been eaten alive.

    ReplyDelete