Thursday, April 7, 2011

Speaking Chinese


One of our neighbors (a cute Chinese grandfather) came to our house today.
That's never happened before, so I knew that something must be wrong.
He doesn't speak a WORD of English
and I don't speak a WORD of Chinese.

It took me a minute to pick up on the sign language, 
but I finally figured out that he had locked himself out of his house.
I offered him the phone to call his son or daughter-in-law.
He shook his head "no"
We went back to sign language.
He then wrote 1-1-9 on his hand with his finger.
I figured he wanted me to call 911 to get his house unlocked.
That seemed a little extreme, 
so I just called the police station and let them know the problem.
They said they would send the fire truck.

While we waited, he kept going over and looking in the window
then he'd come back and make some other signs.
I'm a little slow, 
but it seemed like he was telling me that something was turned ON in the house
the water?
the stove?
THE STOVE?!!

I called the police station back to make sure they were on their way.
They were just coming up the hill.

Those nice firemen found a way into the house
opened all the doors
turned off the alarms
and let the smell of burning broccoli waft through the neighborhood.

I really need to learn some Chinese.
Maybe I'll start with...

嘿 女人,注意! 我觉得我的房子很快就会着火了!
(Hey woman, pay attention! I think my house will soon be on fire!)


No comments:

Post a Comment