Monday, March 29, 2010

Conquering Bunker Hill (sort of)

We've been in this state for 6 years now and have never visited
The Bunker Hill Monument
it's even part of the Freedom Trail
 and how many times have I been on that?!

So on Saturday, we headed for the hill.
We took Flat Blake along 
because we were sure that he would want to see it too.

(I'll let you catch yourself up on the history of The Battle of Bunker Hill -- it's a good story)


Now I like to think that I'm in pretty good shape.
I take a brisk walk almost every day.
I have stairs in my house that I go up and down frequently.
I'm young(ish)
I'm healthy
I can do hard things
Right?...

This is what the monument looks like from the bottom looking up
WAY UP
294 STAIRS UP


AWESOME
EXCITING
LET'S GET CLIMBING!
And so we did...


The first 100 stairs or so, were easy.
I was feeling great, energetic, exhilarated, keep 'em coming...

and they kept coming
125... 150... 175...

we pass a lady sitting on the stairs, with her head in her hands
(I could totally feel her pain and I kind of wanted to join her)
200... 225...

Logan asks if the stairs are getting taller
(uh, yeah -- that's obvious!)
250... 275

I think my life started flashing before my eyes
my lungs were burning
I was very near my breaking point
294
OH. MY. GOODNESS.

We {I} made it!!!

Here's a view from the top
not that I could enjoy it... I was focusing on my breathing
and that very small room at the top was filled with 
lots of tired people united in our pain
(okay, I made that up - everyone was acting like the climb was no big deal - I knew better)


And then it was time to climb back down.
I kid you not when I say that my legs felt like noodles...
wobbly, over-cooked, unstable, noodles.

Collin stayed close in front of me all the way down
I think he was worried I was going to fall
(he was right to be worried)


Here we are at the conclusion 
Can you see my legs shaking -- because they were!
The boys were completely and totally un-fazed by the whole event
Ahhh... the joys of youth.


That's a good thing to check off our list of things to do in Boston.
Strangely, I want to do it again...
after I spend some time in training for it.

I'm still recovering.

Maybe I could move into this awesome place across the street
while I'm in training.


I wonder how often they climb the monument.
I'd do it everyday if I lived there -- just to prove that I could.

1 comment:

  1. That is incredible!! I think I would have passed out somewhere around stair 100. What a view!

    ReplyDelete