Saturday, September 10, 2011

Getting from There to Here


 Yeah, it's been awhile.
My summer has been a bit chaotic
but I'm going to make up for it with this post
and a gazillion pictures!

We left our home in Massachusetts on June 28th
with the U-haul loaded
and the boys smiling...
 and we made it as far as New York before a tire blew on the trailer
and we spent some time sitting here
enjoying the view
and waiting
 until help arrived
 This is the only picture I took of Pennsylvania...
(if you'd like to see more of this state, please refer to this post :)
and moving on to...
 Historic Kirtland
 with the Sister Missionaries who showed us around
 Our next stop was Isaac Morley's Farm
where you can see the original trail leading into Kirtland 
that Joseph and Emma would have traveled on
 and there's just something about a "witness tree" that I love
 Kirtland Temple
 then on we went to...
and
 where we passed LOTS of beautiful farms and neat old barns
(these are all taken from the window of a speeding Tahoe... so pardon the quality)
on our way to Nauvoo
 where Collin and Logan made some rope
 with the help of a Massachusett friend's (Maddy W.) Grandpa!
 Of course, we had to stop at the Browning Store
(the view from the back window of the home)
 and while learning about bricks...
 we ran into Elizabeth (another friend from Massachusetts) who was attending EFY there!
We spent some time outside the Nauvoo Temple
 and "touched the temple"
 and then watched the sun set over the Mississippi River
 which made the temple look a little pink - it was beautiful!
We also stopped in Carthage
and then headed down the road to...
 the Winter Quarters Visitor's Center and Temple
 (reading the names of those who died there)
 where we touched one more temple
 and got closer to home.
 With no more historical stops on our schedule 
I resorted to taking pictures of the scenery
which looked something like this
 and this
(I loved the clouds in that pretty blue sky)
and this
 Can you tell what this sign says?
(again, taken through a window... while traveling fast... into direct sunlight)
 and finally...
Home Sweet (Other) Home 
on July 2nd

We had a great trip across the beautiful U.S.A.
but it is nice to be home... for good.
(and look, those two boys are still smiling!)


3 comments:

  1. What a great little journal of your trip home!! And so very glad you are home for good. Although I don't see you a lot, it makes me feel better inside knowing that you are close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy Mormon Pioneer trek! aren't you glad you were driving with a u-haul and not pulling your household items in a wagon through all those states?! what a great trip, and I'm so glad it brought you home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'There' misses you guys! I am so glad you had an opportunity to visit all those amazing places. Lots of Luv from Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete